Monday, March 30, 2015

How to Distinguish my Art.....

Every artist has their "thing". This "thing" could be a constant use of a medium, material, style, a certain color, object, etc. After studying or even being introduced to a new artist, you can usually find that "thing" that distinguishes that particular artist from another. There is essentially no simple artist. Viewers might think that its simple, but really the detail is so exact and specific. So what distinguishes me? Well, my art is concentrated on the everyday American life. Every day brings something new, whether its fear, a challenge, or even a truth, we always end the day and begin a new one. I wanted to capture that typical life. But by using figures, I was also interested by the concept of architecture. For example, the daily objects that I was constantly painting were people in hotels, theatres, diners, restaurants, trains, streets, gas stations. These were all common everyday things that people passed everyday. People aren't necessarily stopping to look at people sitting in these places, so why not paint what people really look like on a daily basis? Then, going off of my Cape Cod interests, landscapes were always appearing in my sketches. I just couldn't stay away from the simple of our world in which we are surrounded in every single day. My brush strokes were always heavy, exaggerating dark colors and intense shadows. These were essentially my subjects.

"Chop Suey"


"Gas"

No comments:

Post a Comment