Thursday, March 26, 2015

Every Single Summer in Cape Cod

So my New England stage then started........There are so many amazing places in New England, but I chose to spend every single summer starting in 1930, to paint and sketch Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I made the decision with my wife, Josephine, also an inspiring artist to build a house right by the beach and just explore as much as we could. Jo especially loved when I did watercolors and was always so encouraging with my artwork and was always willing to help me and give me feedback. Jo and I chose to locate in the town of Truro, where we built our house in 1934. Taking trips to the beach scenes, seeing the ocean, and the beauty of the long landscapes was always so breathtaking to come back to every summer. One of my favorite objects that I captured was the lighthouses. I found myself constantly sketching them, from all different angles and perspective. They were never boring to me because the amount of detail each one had. They have their own uniqueness to them. The shadows, colors, windows, the lights, the shape, the location were all always different. Another favorite of mine of watching the action of the ocean. The waves hitting the rock, the beautiful shades of blue and the reflections from sailors venturing out on their boats. Cape Cod was definitely my place and I never wanted to stop going. Every visit brought something new.

"Cape Cod Evening"

"Corn Hill"

"The Lighthouse at Two Lights"

"Gazing at the Sea"

No comments:

Post a Comment